Saturday, October 18, 2008

An intruder calls

The days are getting shorter as we edge towards winter. I find it almost impossible to go out in the garden when I get home from work. Soon my opportunities will be restricted to the weekends when we put the clocks back (or is it forward? And do we get another hour in bed or an hour less? You know, that twice-yearly argument).

Carrying out an inspection this morning, before the rain came on, I discovered three or four holes in the vegetable patch. One was quite deep. Susan says it will have been squirrels as they like burying things. This squirrel neither buried anything or covered it up. What was the point?

The red cabbage I pickled has proved to be delicious and I shall make some more soon. Continuing my new regime, I shall be knocking up a Christmas cake this afternoon with ingredients all sourced from the shop. It's a recipe by Stephen Jackson, owner of the Weavers Shed restaurant in Golcar, Huddersfield, and it just struck me, 'This is something I could do'. A good thing about it is that it involves beer and there should be a decent amount left over.

No comments: