Monday, November 16, 2009

Apostrophes, onions and Christmas

Reviewing my previous post, I see that I referred to my growing abilities. A chap called John McIntyre whose website I look in on from time to time, would be horrified. He's an American journalist about my age and a stickler for language and meaning, especially in journalism. For his benefit and to avoid any doubt, I stress that I was writing about my abilities at growing vegetables in the garden. I did not mean that my abilities were on the up and up. In fact, the opposite is probably true.

I was brought to this after a discussion with my friend Kate about the misuse of apostrophes and the like in written language. She's a teacher of English as a foreign language and tends to the view that these variations are all right as long as the recipient of the language gets the meaning. I remain doubtful of the argument and was reminded of it when I glanced at the packet of white onions she kindly bought for me the other day. The label proudly boasts Wilkos Cream of the Crop. While the meaning is blindingly obvious, I would much prefer to see Wilko's.

Still, I was very grateful for the present and it was a pleasant interlude when I planted the 50 onions in the ground where my runner beans had produced such a bountiful crop this summer. Let's hope the onions similarly thrive. Or should it be onion's?

On the kitchen front, I have finally baked our Christmas ale cake, used the spare fruit for a Yorkshire tea loaf and got onions salting overnight for pickling. Susan says I have to finish the onions when she is out of the house as she does not care for the smell.

The ale cake is from a recipe supplied by Stephen Jackson, owner of the Weavers Shed at Golcar, near Huddersfield, and is one I used last year. I do not take against him because of the lack of apostrophe in the word Weavers. My ingredients are not so posh as his, being chiefly from Aldi, but I did manage the bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier he recommends. Decent amount left for a drink. Hic!


No comments: