Thursday, September 24, 2009

Always look on the bright side

Many everyday activities are impossible for me as I continue to shuffle around with my bad back and the garden is horribly neglected.

I am reading Philip Ziegler’s The Black Death to cheer myself up and came across this passage today about the helplessness of 14th century medical scientists:

“Ibn Khatimah approved of fresh fruit and vegetables but no one else  agreed. Gentile of Foligno recommended lettuce, the Faculty of Medicine at Paris forbade it. Ibn Khatimah had faith in egg plant, another expert deplored its use.”

In the 21st century, there seems universal agreement that vegetables can only be good for you. The debates that take place centre on GM v non-GM, organic v non-organic. When did our attitude towards veg change, I wonder?

No comments: