Friday, September 17, 2010

A satisfying job

I don't have a big lawn or pretend to keep it in pristine condition, but I find something deeply satisfying about mowing.

And so a session this afternoon - long put off because of rain, wet and lethargy - proved to be calming and just what the mind needed. It was 30 minutes or so of gentle work away from everyday cares as I pushed the mower up and down the lawn.

I have a trusty electric lawnmower bought from Woolworths I don't know how many years ago and at one time I used to hurry the job. But since I gave up newspaper work, I don't mind taking a bit more time. I've developed the patience to switch off the mower to move the lead into a better position as I go around the lawn.

As I was cutting the grass, it was chilly and became overcast at one point. I realised there won't be many days left this year for mowing.

No comments: