Wednesday, May 04, 2011

60th birthday ruminations

It was a landmark day for me yesterday - my 60th birthday. Yes, I was born when King George VI was on the throne. In fact, I came into this world just one hour before the monarch officially opened the Festival of Britain at noon. Wikipedia describes the "Festival Style" as combining modernism with whimsy and Englishness. I leave it to others to judge if I fit in.

My cousin Jennifer marked the big occasion by sending me three packets of seeds and a recipe book from Limekilns Parish Church, a coastal village not far down the road from her home in Dunfermline. There are some seriously good cake recipes in there. Mmm...I'll be trying some soon. The seeds are also very welcome and I will be particularly interested in having a go at growing peppers.

Talking of seedlings, I'm pleased that my beetroot and courgettes have started to show. The beetroot was a spectacular failure when I transplanted the seedlings last year, but that was on the back patch where the sun don't shine. I shall choose somewhere else this time.

The garden is totally parched and a bit of dustbowl after weeks without rain, although they are telling us to expect showers by the end of the week. Let us hope so.

No comments: