Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Using up the beans

I've got more runner beans than I know what to do with, so this afternoon I am making runner bean pickle.

It's a rainy, squally day as we head into autumn and the pickling activity seems just right. Soon the kitchen will be filled with the smell of vinegar, something which produces mixed emotions in this household. I quite like it, but I know the others will make a comment.

I'm using a recipe from the John Harrison Allotment website, a site I have mentioned before and which is invaluable for tips and advice, not just on digging and planting but also on cooking.

The mention of mustard powder in the list of ingredients sets me off back to childhood, when mustard didn't come ready mixed and every home had that yellow tin of mustard powder. Then, all of a sudden, there was a revolution and it came ready done in a jar. My mother was ever so pleased, although I don't think it had been a big job to mix it yourself.

One problem with the pickle recipe is that I don't have mustard powder, so I will have to get over that in some way. It's not very helpful of one website to tell me I can use wasabi powder instead. Oh yeah, we've all got that in the store cupboard.

I think I'll take the advice of one of the people who posted a comment on the recipe and add a handful of raisins - they're cheap in Lidl and we have quite a number of bags.

Here's wishing and hoping.


No comments: