Saturday, September 20, 2008

Doing the Monster Mash (not)

When I had my first trip around the garden centre, I saw they had seeds for monster vegetables. There's been an interesting review in the Independent of The Biggest Beetroot in the World, a book by Michael Leapman. He follows five growers of big vegetables through a year of expensive upkeep and brutally competitive judging shows. There's no money in any of it and the veg is inedible, apparently.
 
There's a mention in the book of the annual Dewsbury Onion Fair, not far down the road from me and which I notice is being held this year on October 4. Classes include single largest onion, three heaviest and best dressed. Think I will go along and have a look, but I'm not tempted in the slightest. What's the point of veg you can't eat?

No comments: