Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thoughts of nudism

I'm reading an interesting book by Lucas Bridges called Uttermost Part of the Earth, published in 1948 and the story of his life in the late 19th century and early 20th century on the island of Tierra del Fuego, on the tip of South America. He tells a story about visiting an elderly Indian native on her death-bed in the 1880s. She had been brought to London in the 1830s and presented to King William IV. Fascinating that in one bound I'm taken from someone who lived in my lifetime to the years before Queen Victoria's reign.

Any road, the point is that Tierra del Fuego is one of the most inhospitable places on earth. Think the wild seas of Cape Horn and very few days without rain, slush, hail or snow. Bridges relates in his book how there were gardens on these islands and relates that one couple managed to serve up strawberries and cream to visitors.

So why the hell haven't I been able to get veg to grow in my patch? Apparently, the nomadic people of Tierra del Fuego dressed sparingly, a remarkable feat given the cold climate. Should I give it a go?

No comments: