Monday, December 01, 2008

Jack Frost visits

Woke up yesterday morning to a heavy frost all around, as it had been on the previous day. The vegetable plot, tucked away in a sheltered area, was still frosty when I inspected it at noon. Whiteness gleamed on the green manure, a pretty enough sight to my eyes.

Something had been walking across the plot, its small paw prints embedded in the hard ground. I suspect it may have been a cat, out on its rounds in our neighbourhood.

Later on I was to walk in the woods with our dog. I wore my woolly bobble hat for the first time this winter, something of a necessity in the cold for a man with thinning hair.

I was lucky enough to see three deer in the woods. They disappeared from sight when they saw me, although it was more of an amble than a run. Indeed, one of the animals stopped for a good look at me - a gaze which I returned. Do they go home, I wonder, and tell their mates they have seen a man down the woods?

No comments: