Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Things are on the move


Who knows if this is too late, but I have started chitting my potatoes in the conservatory. Arran Piper variety caught my fancy in the shop the other day, so I bought them. They are first early spuds and need to be planted in February or March, the label said. Still haven't dug the ground for them, never mind given time for chitting. Was going to make a start on preparing space yesterday, but the noise from the chainsaws being used to hack the adjacent bungalow's leylandii drove me nuts and I had to retreat. Chitting, I have discovered, is nothing more than putting them in a box and waiting for shoots to come through.

Must start planning ahead a bit more and deciding what I am going to do. Need to remind myself about the Cherokee Trail of Tears my friend Steve sent me. He says, incidentally, that they harvest their garlic come July when the green tops are dry and brown. I bow to superior knowledge. He always strings his, like onions. Don't know if I'll have enough to do that.

No comments: