Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Much ado about nothing

I'm reaching the stage (and may even be past it) of needing to dig and prepare the ground for potatoes. Apparently the traditional day for planting spuds is April 10, which is looming fast. But a walk in the woods just now with the dog has revealed to me just how slippery and muddy it is underfoot after the past few days of snow and rain.

I'm reading a terrific book called Close to the Veg, by Michael Rand, sent to me by my mate Steve, which has turned out quite unexpectedly to be good stuff. The author, who knew nothing about such things before taking on his London allotment, is full of good advice and one of his tips is that it is fruitless to dig a soaking-wet clay soil as you won't do the ground any good by squelching all over it. I've no idea if my soil is clay or not (how are you supposed to tell?) but it seems to me to be sensible to respect his wisdom and lay off until the patch dries off a bit.

This is rapidly turning into a journal in which nothing much happens.

No comments: