Monday, July 21, 2008

My vegetable patch


I have decided to create a vegetable patch in our garden.

It's a big step for someone who doesn't know a seed from a pip (are they the same?) or anything about planting and maintenance. Or, indeed, likes work. Nevertheless, the decision is made. 

Why I've said it, I just don't know. It just came out in the pub - we hadn't been talking about that sort of thing and I hadn't even had it in my mind on that day. Now I'm declaring it publicly on this blog and to my friends, so I've got to do it.

Hard digging is the first task, as I plan to use about one-third of our garden. Some lawn will have to go, along with bushes, and then the earth turned over (is that what they do?)

I'll try to be as organic as possible. Don't know yet at this stage what I'll be planting, but broad beans, rhubarb and potatoes are on the list.

This is a picture of our garden from the front bedroom. I intend to dig up the section at the rear on the left.

Today I have booked a week's holiday next week to start doing it. Got to follow through now or will look a fool.

By the way, daughter Dorothy proved industrious today and repainted the green shed you can see. Good job.


Wish me luck

No comments: